Blog

Get the latest news, research, commentary and analysis on what is impacting your quality of life. From top scholars to regular citizens, this blog’s contributors make the latest in empirical research on economic freedom accessible and easy to understand, issue by issue.

The Best of the Liberty Video Awards

red carpet

It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for. You have cast your votes for the best videos in the Best Narrative, Best Docu-mini, Best Lesson in Economics, and Most Humorous categories. Now it’s time to vote for the best overall liberty video of 2012.

Who deserves the award? Watch the videos below and cast your vote.

[poll id="26"]

Best Narrative: LIBRE Initiative’s “My American Experience

“My family and I have succeeded by following the path to freedom. But that path is on the verge of vanishing. What we’re starting to see here in America now is a growth in the size and the scope of government that is now starting to look like the governments that we left behind.”

Best Docu-mini: The Institute for Justice’s “Caveman Blogger Fights for Free Speech and Internet Freedom

“In December 2011, diabetic blogger Steve Cooksey started a Dear Abby-style advice column on his popular blog (www.diabetes-warrior.net) to answer reader questions. One month later, the State Board informed Steve that he could not give readers advice on diet, whether for free or for compensation, because doing so constituted the unlicensed, and thus criminal, practice of dietetics.” Watch to find out more of Steve’s story.

Best Lesson in Economics: The Institute for Faith, Work, and Economics’ “I, Smartphone

Do you or someone you know have a smartphone? Have you ever thought about how many people it took to build it? Who coordinated all of those people and resources? The Institute for Faith, Work, and Economics uses the production of a smartphone to teach about basic market processes and how important economic freedom is to the creation of such products.

Most Humorous: Crony Chronicles’ “I Want to Be a Crony

“When I grow up, I want to … work for the government and rig the system … make the rules … build a big government program for all my crony friends … I’m going to fight for my piece of the taxpayer pie.” Just what are our children learning these days?

Comments

1. Ken Lane says:

I’ve gotta go with the first video on this one. I believe the third one is winning due to the graphics and intricate detail about industry. But, without the values discussed in the first video… there would be nothing else.

2. Hugh Myers says:

All of them are terrific. The one that moved me most was the first, “My American Experience” from the Libre Initiative: for a trenchant point made with a smile, “I Want to be a Crony”.

3. Brian Jeffries says:

Just voted and viewed the results. hmmm. I wouldn’t have thought “I Smartphone” would be leading. In my humble opinion humble the other videos represented more pressing issues and if it were fair I would have voted for each of them. When it came down to it, “I Want to Be a Crony” was the video that I could relate the most. I’ve experienced cronyism up close and personal. My stepfather was an Indiana senator and then made a much more lucrative living in the bribery profession; er, as a lobbyist. My mother ran the business and drew a comfortable salary so I have mixed emotions. You see, she raised five of us on her own, with no help, no welfare, no food stamps. She managed to provide us with what we needed including one new change of clothes every school year (being the youngest I sometimes didn’t enjoy that treat.) She had no social life and few privileges. So I was also drawn to “My American Experience”. All in all, each one has relevant points to drive home.

4. Annie says:

I, Smartphone is an amazingly important message. As a former teacher for many years, I see the larger picture of what is being taught here. It is about the vital role of free enterprise and creativity. I love it and it has my vote. They are all beautiful however, all winners.

5. Mark Taylor, Seeley Lake, Mont says:

I, smartphone is excellent. You have earned my vote ….. love the ending … once again outstanding

6. Ted A. III Robinson says:

I, smartphone: great job of helping understand interdependencies . You got my vote.

7. Amy Rogers says:

I, smartphone: great job of teaching us all a valuable and important lesson.